Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It's a Feel Good Day

Today is a good day for 3 reasons:

1) When I arrived at work this morning, the security guard who was checking ids at the door was a young, black male with his arms crossed and a pair of sunshades on. He was trying to look like a secret service agent in a biker's uniform. I knew he thought himself too cool for school and wanted to speak to him to see if he would respond of if he would remain stoic. I said "Good morning!" in a bright and cheery voice. As suspected, he did not speak but merely nodded his head in response. This amused me. I knew I was starting off the workday the right way.

2) I contacted two people by e-mail and one by phone who I have lost touch with over the past year or two. This made me feel very good.

3) I received my first real gift(s) from a student: a lovely scarf, pretty pink change purse, and a book called History of the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (this book is about the palace of the king from The King and I; we worked all quarter on a paper about the film version of The King and I, so really it was quite a thoughtful gift).

I would really like to encourage anyone who has recently lost touch with someone to e-mail or call and set up a lunch date (or simply say hello, you have been thinking of them). I promise you will feel good afterwards.

1 comments:

alicia said...

It is a feel good day. I thought it was the weather. I had lunch with Christy and her boyfriend and that made me feel good. It was great to see her again. I wish I could see the security guard. He would make me laugh too.