Wednesday, August 23, 2006

So Idiotic

I came across a website today called "Bag, Borrow or Steal."

The premise of this site is that you can rent designer purses (Coach, Burberry, etc.) by the week or month if you can't afford to buy them at full price.

Am I missing something? This seems like the stupidest idea in the whole world. Trust me, you're not fooling anyone carrying around a designer handbag while still driving your Geo Metro.

To top it all off, I saw that the site had an "Outlet" page. I had to register ("Free Membership!"--as if anyone would pay for it). When I did, I was bombarded with images of used purses that can be purchase for 30% off. Wow. A used puruse that would normally cost $138 is now only $99!

I love purses as much as--or maybe more than--the next girl, but this seems like a stupid idea. A lot of the purses were $13 a week and $40 for the month. Idiocy. Who would fall for this?

2 comments:

JJ said...

I agree, Kirsten. That has to be the stupidest idea I have ever heard of. It's so unbelievable, I'd swear it was an ad you found on something like The Onion. Although I suppose it does have it merits when you consider how much purses really do cost. But then, purses like that are not a necessity. Sure, rent a television until you can pay for it. But a purse? All that shows is that these people care way too much about what others' think-- they need to try a little introspection and quit wasting their time renting purses. Good grief.

Kasey said...

The only reason that I could think of to rent a purse is to either use it in a theatrical production or to go to a ten-year reunion. These situations both include acting a part. I feel sorry for people who care about what other people think but do not take the initiative to make something of themselves and be truly admired.