Last night, with my husband gone and left to my own devices, I watched Grizzly Man. This is the documentary about Timothy Treadwell, who lived with the bears for 13 summers and in 2003 (along with his girlfriend) was killed by a bear.
I can’t stop thinking about this movie. Not because it had a profound message about saving wildlife, but because Timothy Treadwell is a complete nut. There is no way this man was sane. Imagine Richard Simmons dressed in all black with a Prince Valiant haircut while talking to bears and you’ve just pictured Timothy Treadwell.
Yes, it’s awful that he died, but come on. Didn’t anyone see it coming? The man thought he was a bear. I don’t mean to make a mockery of the dead, but if you ever catch this movie on tv (or even rent it, cause it’s worth the rental fee), you MUST watch it. It’s a bigger train wreck than the Britney Spears interview. You cannot turn away.
If you’d like to see the trailer for the film, here’s the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfWippJeHM
Monday, July 24, 2006
Grizzly Man
Posted by Kirsten at 3:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Kirsten also failed to mention the scene regarding the bear's poo-- that's all I'll say since I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone who's going to watch "Grizzly Man". I know my life will never be the same after hearing that story, but then I suppose it's payback for all the stories I told her about the history of toliets.
I have watched that movie and can't believe we failed to discuss it before. I think he was mentally ill, and his death was a type of quasi-suicide. Did you feel uncomfortable when the guy was asking his ex-girlfriend questions and she looked like she was laughing, but it seemed that she was playing it off by crying? That part made me feel weird. I don't remember the poo part - I must have changed the channel.
Yay Kirsten!
Great taste. And I'm just glad someone else has seen a Werner Herzog film, so I can make countless references to his brilliance.
What really attracts me to him as a filmmaker is his attraction to really messed-up people--whether it's his documentaries or his narratives. You should check out MY BEST FIEND, his retrospective on making films with insane actor Klaus Kinski.
Okay, film geek signing out now...
Alicia, I too cannot believe we haven't discussed this before. As I was watching, I kept thinking that your kids would like this movie. I thought Reese might do a spectacular parody of it.
I felt uncomfortrable watching it as well. I thought the part where she cried was odd too. It did seem like she was laughing and only fake crying.
Mark, I haven't seen any other Herzog films, but if he likes to make movies about messed up people, then I'm on board. I've added My Best Fiend to my Netflix list and am looking forward to it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Trey was riveted to the screen, and made me keep it in PIP at the bottom of the screen so that we would not miss it when it came back on. I will have to recommend that Reese bank roll a parody of this movie in the near future. His camera is off for service and he feels as if he has lost his best friend.
Post a Comment