Monday, June 02, 2008

Is This Child Abuse?

My cousin is anxious about an upcoming three hour plane ride that she'll be taking with her infant son. I realize this is a long time and a confined space in which a baby might not be at his happiest.

I suggested giving him something to make him sleep. I doubt she will do this. I think most of the people I know with babies probably wouldn't do this.

I SO would.

I've given my dogs "calming pills" for long car rides. (Ella gets so bent out of shape when we go anywhere in the car I thought it would be best for an eight hour trip.)

So weigh in on this: Is it child abuse to give a kid something to make it sleepy so it will benefit both you and the people around you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirsten..I followed you from Robin Lynn's blog..
As a mother, I don't think its such a bad thing to give the baby something to help sleep..it depends on the age of the baby. Maybe a little benadryl or tylenol. Not sure. I haven't flown before. But I have given my babies tylenol if they've had a long day and are cranky and just irritable. I suggest your cousin ask the pediatrician.
Alyce

K A R I™ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K A R I™ said...

When Lucas was 10 months old we flew from GA to CA... LONG TRIP! My mom (a RN) who is usually anti-OTC meds suggested I give Lucas a little Benadryl to make him drowsy and sleep... uhh it had the reverse effect and he was wired and DIDN'T SLEEP FOR 24 HOURS! (He wasn't whiney though, just AWAKE!!!) Some kids it makes sleepy... lucky me

I don't think it is abuse... you just don't know if it will make the kid sleepy or hyper!! I'm one of the small precentage with a kid that it does the opposite!

Robin Lynne said...

Robitussin has more than one use!

alicia said...

I say give the kid a little whiskey . . . BUT only a small dose and don't do it very often.

Just kidding - I think it is best to play with the kid, keep it up for a while and give it a lot of attention - maybe that will work. If it doesn't, then the people on the plane will have a horror story to tell.