I haven’t posted in a while, so I thought I’d better put something new up so Jon and JJ would get off my back. There’s not any coherence in this post. Just a few random things.
1) Prince kicks butt. I tuned in to the Super Bowl just in time for the half-time show last night. Prince is just awesome. It was even more awesome when he sang “Purple Rain” in the rain, which was made purple by the stage lights. Fabulous.
2) Last night at 3:00 am, or early morning I guess, I took Ella outside. When we stepped out into the yard, I heard a rustling across the street. I looked up and saw something very large which I thought was a hound dog. However, once my eyes adjusted to the dark, I realized it was a deer eating grass. I stayed very still and quiet and kept watching her. Then, my eyes made out a baby in the background. Ella was oblivious to them, which is good since she would have started barking had she seen them. Finally the deer saw me. We stood and stared at each other for a while. I was one with nature. Then I turned to go back inside and the deer bolted across the street, followed by her fawn, into my back yard and then into the woods. Magic.
3) A few Sundays ago in church, I thought one of the guys leading the singing said, “If you have grandparents, raise your hand.” So I raised my hand. Jon looked at me funny as did the song leader. I asked Jon why he was looking at me funny and he said the song leader asked “If you are a grandparent, raise your hand.” I found this very funny and couldn’t stop doing the pew laugh.
On a similar note, one Veteran’s Day the song leader (same one) asked anyone who had ever served in the armed forces to stand up. A large majority of the men stood up. Jonathan was sitting at the front of the church. I saw him stand up. I wondered what he was doing. Yes, he had considered joining the army, but he never did. I decided he must be standing up in place of his father. I asked him later why he stood up and he told me he thought it was because we were standing for the closing song.
So there you have it: I’m a grandma and Jon’s a veteran.
Monday, February 05, 2007
Prince/Magical Deer/A Grandma and a Veteran
Posted by Kirsten at 9:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This was just the chuckle I needed, thank you.
I laughed aloud. You two are really funny.
Audience participation is the greatest.
If I ever get called into the ministry, I want to intentionally mumble, but with lots of enthusiasm. And EVERYthing will involve group participation:
"RAISE YOUR HAND ifyergrandfarted!"
"ON THIS VERSE, I WANT ALL theboogerpickingsodomite MEN TO SING!"
"Ifyergaysayhuh!"
Maybe I'll incorporate those into the classroom.
Very funny hun bun. I knew the stories before I read them and still laughed out loud.
Love and miss you!
I would have loved to have been there for the hand-raising grandma story! Jon is a vet! I thought you were going to say he thought because he worked for Petco. he was a veternarian
Post a Comment