One of the books I’m currently reading is I Like You by Amy Sedaris. In it she talks about her love of parties as well as sure fire, easy recipes that will make your party a hit. I’m heavily influenced by what I read, so, needless to say, I now want to entertain.
However, I’ve never got out of the teenage mindset of “What if no one comes to my party?” So I’m asking, if I had a party, would any of you come?
Also, tell me things that you hate at parties and things you love. I’ve never really thrown a party, so any information will be helpful.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Entertaining
Posted by Kirsten at 5:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I would come. I hate it when there is yummy food and no one eats - or they barely pick and look dainty. I also like when there's a lot of salty and not sweet or visa versa ( you know- there must be a balance in snacks - salty, sweet, salty, sweet). Other than food, I'd say you have in down already - a host with a sparkling personality and cute home.
OK, so maybe I wrote that comment in a rush, because I meant... "I also don't like when there's a lot of salty and not sweet...." Also, "I'd say you have it down already-" Goodness. Thank god school has started again...I guess I need it!
I just threw a party a few weeks ago and it was really quite mediocre. My fatal error was asking this one couple, who is notoriously late to everything, to bring an appetizer. They were over 30 minutes late, so I had keep popping my dishes back in the oven to stay warm. This only made them dry out and harden. All the guests were quite frustrated too, and I should have started without them. I have another shindig to throw on Sunday afternoon. I'm cooking everything, and I'm not going to make the mistake of waiting for people, as rude as that may be.
Another lesson learned: Don't make anything you haven't made before. I tested tons of dishes before my big Christmas party and some of them were absolutely awful. I am so thankful that I tried them out on Ryan first.
Just so you know, if you have a party anytime that I'm in town, I will be there with bells on. Make sure to have some games ready. There have been times when everyone just talking and hanging out has been plenty-o-fun; however, there have been times of extreme lull that you may want to be prepared for. In my experience, games like Catchphrase, Scatagories, and Balderdash (play this game only with a smart group of people or it will be a disaster) do the best b/c they are fast moving and not too difficult.
I become an evil beast when I entertain, but for some reason, I continue to do it. Everyone should throw one party in his or her life. Maybe this winter is your season.
(By the way, I have a divine recipe for this miniature ham sandwiches that are a huge hit. You can try them on Saturday afternoon and see if you like them first.)
Of course I would come! Like Brandi, I hate it when everyone feels too self-conscious to eat. I do not really care what there is to eat as long as it is not an awkward dish - you know - the kind that slops down on your chin as you try to be dainty.
Pets are usually a big hit at parties because they are like walking topics of conversation. You have that area covered because of your delightful girls. If the party gets boring, you can pull out Evie's fishing pole and watch the fun begin.
I hate to entertain. I am an uncomfortable host because I want everyone to be relaxed.
I would definitely come. Furthermore, I expect and invitation!
I remember being at a wine tasting that did not really get started until we had gone through at least 5 bottles of wine.... It turned out to be great, though.
Post a Comment