Friday, February 16, 2007

Animals and Kids Are the Same

My pets are happiest with poor people toys and games. Although we buy them pet toys and beds, they are most happiest with “toys” and “games” that could be had by any financially bracketed home.

My dog, after destroying her horse that squeaked, had few toys left, so I gave her a sock. She’s has had the most fun with it. She favors it over all her other toys now.

Also, one of her favorite games, which requires no money, is “Hide the Face.” This happens when Jon gets on the ground and covers his face. She goes crazy trying to get to it. Once she got overzealous and bit his ear. He now makes sure to cover them as well as his face.

My cats’ favorite toy is a free gift we received from the vet’s office. It’s a plastic stick with a rope attached to it with a bell on the end. We call this game, thanks to Alicia, “Fishing Pole.” It’s a delight enjoyed by all.

On a related note, I’ve noticed that kids are happiest with simple toys as well. One Christmas, after receiving dozens of gifts, my sister caught her son outside playing with a dirty rope.

On a separate occasion, the same nephew kept himself occupied through an entire church service with a plastic spoon and a button that he found on the floor.

I’ve decided that if I accidentally have a kid, I won’t buy it presents until it’s about 3 or 4 since it’ll be happy with soiled ropes and plastic cutlery until then.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

I like how you said that he was "caught" with a dirty rope, like it is illegal to do so. Very funny.

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan said...

Not that I am really taking notes, but I do want put on paper what we have decided for our unborn child.

1. No real toys until the age of 5 so to keep her/his imagination intact.

2. Pepper him/her with unused/odd phrases and terms to set them apart from the other children. Terms like "follow pants chatterbox" and "cold as a witch's teet." The child will also make poot noises as a signal of affirmation and aknowledgement of another's presence. This child will have a sandbox full of terms that are unrecognizable to her/his teachers and classmates.

3. Make him/her a snappy dresser b/c we believe that might offset her/his peculiar ways.

4. I will pass on the need to make jokes in uncomfortable situations(along w/ huge feet), and Kirsten will pass on her love of Meatloaf (along with bad feet).

I am sure I am missing a few, but that is pretty close.

alicia said...

When my kids were small, they loved to play with pots and pans. I was very embarrassed one time when James and Carla, friend's of Rob, not mine, made the comment that "Rob's kids are so ghetto, they play with kitchen toys." I was ashamed, but now I say "HA! Your kids dropped out of school in the 10th grade! My 10 year old is writing a children's book!" Well,he is not writing it for any particular reason, but still . . .

I miss playing "fishing pole" with Evie.