Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Powerful Country Ballad

This past weekend I went to a wedding. It was an incredibly country wedding and, of course, the wedding included the playing of two songs while the audience sat twiddling their thumbs while the wedding party just stood at the front of the church. Boring.

For some reason, this is a pet peeve of mine. I’m sorry if any of you opted to play “Butterfly Kisses” at your wedding while everyone just stood or sat aimlessly waiting for the song to get over, but it is insane.

I can understand if the bride or groom sang a meaningful song dedicated to their intended, but to pop in a country cd and just listen to it? Come on. And it’s always a country song or some strange contemporary Christian song. Boo. I can even understand if the song has some significance, but I don’t believe that most of them do. What possible significance could “Butterfly Kisses” or “I Loved Her First” (both country) have to anyone?

Anhwho, as JJ and I were discussing this at lunch, we decided to write a sappy, wedding tune about one parent being dead and watching the wedding ceremony from Heaven. We thought it would be a simple task. Picture a man or woman (I’m not picky) singing it with a deep twang and not pronouncing any of the “g”s in “ing” words. Here is the title, first verse and chorus of our wedding song for people who like country music. Enjoy:

“Daddy’s Princess”

This should be the happiest day of her life
Wearing the white dress, high heels, and veil, she’d feel just like a princess
Her mama told her how beautiful she looked
But her daddy wasn’t there
She’d walk down the aisle but she wouldn’t be walking alone
Even though daddy was in heaven, he would be by her side
And he’d whisper in her ear

Chorus

I’m right beside you
I never left
I’ll always be here to guide you
You might be someone else’s princess now,
But you’ll always be daddy’s princess

***Please feel free to add your own experiences with wedding songs.

5 comments:

Yellow said...

Ok, a long, long time ago my Uncle Chris was married to my now Aunt Patti. At their wedding, they had a person sing to them up at the altar area while they just sttod there, stared at her and listened! I'm sorry, it's a kind gesture (someone wanting to sing to you), but how akward would that be to stand there for what feels like an hour while someone sings to you up close? You would have to continuously keep track of your facial expression (you "the look" would be all over mine). Plus, the people in the audience must sit through it as well. My thoughts on ceremonies: keep it simple. Save the other long winded speeches, thoughtful but draining songs to the couple, and other sweet but sappy goodies to the reception when people are drinking.

Kirsten said...

Sadly, if drinking were involved, I'd try to sing along.

alicia said...

Recently, my niece got married and I went through the same experience. Two, yes two, songs in a row while everyone sat there and looked uncomfortable. To top it off, the girl was a terrible singer and I had to control my laughter as looked at my kids who were looking at me with a "This is terrible" look.

I sat paralyzed by the fear that Trey would, in one of his stage whispers say, "She sucks." Thankfully, he did not.

alicia said...

By the way, I think you and JJ may have a hit on your hands.

Jonathan said...

I cried. I wish I could go back in time and have that playing at our wedding.

I think I will sing it to the girls when I am home next.

Jon