Recently, Lindsey Lohan lost her purse allegedly containing millions of dollars worth of jewelry. The bag was recovered by a security guard and returned to her. It was in the news the other day that the guard is still awaiting a thank you or acknowledgement from Miss Lohan herself.
Yes, if I lost my purse that contained tons of jewelry (I think we’re forgetting to ask why the heck anyone totes around tons of expensive jewelry in her purse in the first place), I would be very thankful to have it returned. I would profusely thank the finder and would probably send him or her flowers or more if I was a millionaire. Although any classy person would thank someone in a situation like this, not everyone has class.
However, this guard’s wait for a thank you made me pause. Why should he expect an apology? After all, he was doing his job.
This made me think about things on a larger scale and how in today’s society, everyone expects something these days. Everyone is automatically deserving of something; they’re owed it. Never mind that they’re doing the right thing or, God forbid, their job. They want to be recognized.
I feel like I’m not being clear. I think workers should be valued for doing their job and I think the classy thing for Miss Lohan to do would be to thank the guard, but I don’t think it’s mandatory. It just pisses me off how people feel they’re owed something just because they’re doing the right thing.
Friday, October 06, 2006
Nobody's Got No Class
Posted by Kirsten at 11:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I agree one hundred percent-- the same thing occured to me. Yes, it's tacky for Lohan not to say thank you, but it is equally tacky for the guard to tell the world he's waiting for an apology. Of course, it's perfectly normal to expect an apology, but the bigger person would just drop the subject altogether if they didn't get one. You're right, Kirsten, too many people these days only do things for others when they can get something out of it in return. What happened to the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when helping your fellow man?
I ahve so much to say about this that i think it will be on my blog shortly!
JP,
You miss the artistic approach that many take to ice cream scooping and coffee pouring. I never tip for the act that is normal. I do sometimes tip for the outstanding. When someone is a coffee pouring maniac, and excited about the very idea of giving me, a perfect stranger, a lil' bit of hot joe. When they are just bubbling, over friendly, but not in the obnoxious, fake way...I tip. I tip b/c the made my day. The key is that they don't act like they expect it. The sad thing is that I am so needy to the strangers around me that they actually possess the power to make my day, or send me into tail spin.
Mel, a buck o five to be exact.
Amen to that. I tip at Ambrosia-- mostly because I know those people and they help me out a lot. But I'm with JP and others-- Starbucks? No. But I do believe in tipping if someone is extra nice or goes out of their way to show that they're there to help. Scooping ice cream shouldn't, in my book, get a tip. The bigger question is, why isn't their employer paying them more? I realize waitstaff don't make that much and so I tip accordingly, but an ice cream scooper? I don't know . . .
Post a Comment