It’s been a weird weekend. On Friday, I went to Ludowici to a restaurant called the Greasy Spoon to celebrate my sister’s graduation. I must admit, I was wary of going to this restaurant, but it turned out to be quite fun. I got to eat dinner with my sister, cousin, husband, and a childhood/teenage friend who I haven’t seen in a few years. I was worried that it would be awkward between all of us and our long, lost friend, but things fell right into place as always. We ate and sang karaoke (yes, I did sing, but not by myself). Good times.
While at the Greasy Spoon, I also saw a girl I went to high school with. Though we were not good friends, we were friends. She was pregnant with her second child. She and her husband come up to the Greasy Spoon most Friday nights to hang out. She seemed so sad. She seemed like she wanted more from life, but was resigned to staying in one place. It could be that I was reading too much into our conversation or that I was placing my own insecurities on her. Maybe I’ll never know.
On Saturday, we went to my sister’s graduation ceremony in Hinesville. While at the ceremony I saw my best friend from childhood through our teenage years (Nikki) and another good friend as well (JV, he was graduating too). Again, I was worried it would be awkward, but it wasn’t. It was good to see them.
My last blast from the past happened after the graduation ceremony at The China Restaurant in Hinesville. My father’s old girlfriend, who moved in immediately after my mother died and stayed with us for 6 years came into the restaurant while we were eating. To be honest, I didn’t even recognize her. She (who I called Fatty Patty, but she wasn’t fat) was so skinny. She had long, curly hair and glasses. I glanced at her and saw her side profile and didn’t pay her much mind since I thought she was some young, too skinny army wife. Dad told me later that it was her. He and my brother in law recognized her. (I don’t know how my brother in law knows her, but he knows everyone.) I’m glad I didn’t recognize her. It would have thrown me off for the rest of the night. I don’t know why, but it would have and it did after Dad told me it was her.
I hate that the past has such an effect on me. I’ve spent too many of my “adult” years trying to run away from my past, only to find out that it’s actually something I miss.
Monday, May 15, 2006
Blasts From the Past
Posted by Kirsten at 1:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I didn't know that Patty was there. I have never seen her. It would have been nice to put a face to a name, but I agree that it would have changed the mood of the afternoon.
I am always worried when I go to Hinesville, Ludowici, or Jesup too. I don't know what I am afraid of. Do we really think that the girls that were not in our group from middle school are going to come up to us and try to even the score? They would do like any of us would do and say hi or smile and keep walking. There is nothing to be afraid of, but our insecurities block opportunities. There is not a set standard that we must reach before we can stop running from our past. I think we hide out until we accomplish something because we don't want any negative comments. But I don't think anybody cares about anybody else but themselves.
I had a really fun time this weekend.
Post a Comment