Thursday, July 17, 2008

Violated/Connection/Wisdom

Violated


Today I found out that my credit card number was stolen. So far I know that it was used at a Ritz Camera store for $928. I dread logging in tomorrow and seeing what else has posted. I’ve canceled my account. I know I don’t have to pay for the fraudulent purchase; my concern is that the beast of burden hole also has other info like my social security number. I keep telling myself this isn’t the end of the world. Hmmm. I’m not believing myself. I’m so careful about paying bills on time and maintaining a good credit score. All of it can be screwed up by some thieving bastard. Eventually it will work itself out, sure. But what about the interim? I feel violated. You can’t be too careful. Watch out.


Connection


I always love to hear stories about my mother. I especially love it when I find out that we liked the same things or shared the same ideas. I have a pair of her earrings that I wear from time to time. They’re green beads and now that I’ve taken up beading, I feel like it’s something else we share.


Wisdom


For the past 7 years, I’ve been focused on my home looking “normal and perfect.” I try to pick complimentary décor and accessorize with tasteful pieces. However, sometimes I want to forget about everything going together and looking “just so” at all times. Today I read this from a list by George Carlin on “How to Stay Young”:


Surround yourself with what you love , whether it's family,
pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.


Why not decorate how I want? So what if my penguin and teal bird on the mantel go with nothing else? They make me happy. So what that my Bigfoot statue (which I haven’t officially been gifted with yet, but I’m waiting….) doesn’t match? If my midget Bigfoot makes me happy, then that’s all that matters. Slowly but surely, I’m getting over what others think of me and finding myself.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh noooo! Your Credit Card was stolen. I often worry about that type of thing myself. Ekkkkkk! You are right, you can't be to careful.
I love to find things that I have in common with my relatives as well. My mother of course comes first but I also like to find things that remind me of my grandmother,my Aunt,etc. Like my hands,I get my hands from my father but there are some things that are like my mothers hands as well. I just find hands thrilling! When I was little I used to watch her writing.
Your right about where you live. It doesn't matter if things match or not. It's what makes you happy and I know that but I am still learning how to do that very very slowly.
Anyway, GREAT POST!
*HUGS*
Angela