Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Pseudo Farm

I've mentioned on various blogs in the past (or if you know me well enough you already know) my desire to live on a farm. Not necessarily a farm complete with ducks and cows, but a farm that consists of at least more than 2 acres of land complete with a dog, cat, and horse. I would also like a 4 wheeler and a pool.

I'm not in the market for a new house, but I was looking at houses for sale in nearby counties yesterday and found one that has the potential to be perfect. It's in Rincon (yes, stinkin Rincon), but it has 5 acres, is over 2000 square feet, and has a pool (it's an above ground pool; not as cool as inground, I know, but it'll do). It's farther away from work and school than I am now (24 miles compared to 12), but it seems like what I've been wanting.

I drove by the pseudo farm last night to get a look and see if it was in a ghetto. Not at all. True to the picture. It still seemed delightful. I called my realtor and asked if we could go see it on Saturday.

Last week, a friend mentioned that my neighborhood seems very "adult." I am living an adult life, but I still feel like a kid playing house.

Why am I in such a panic already? Nothing is even remotely close to being set in stone, so why am I already on the verge of freaking out? I do make adult decisions, but making those decisions causes many sleepless nights for me. I can't trust that I'm making good, sound decisions. Nor can I trust that even if I make a bad decision, it can be fixed.

Though nothing will probably come of it, I just wanted to share the exciting possibility and the panic of it all. How do I know if I'm making good choices so I won't freak out during the process?

3 comments:

Kasey said...

It is healthy for you to freak out when making huge financial decisions. If you were ambivalent about it, then I would worry. I know that you have already looked at Rincon before, you have done your homework, you are not required to purchase anything, and you are just getting some ideas for the type of dream home that you want in the future. It is good to plan ahead. Don't worry, unless you really fall in love with it.

alicia said...

I agree with Kasey, you never get over freaking out about decisions. I think that is a very adult thing to do. Take Dr. H for example. An immature person would say, "Hey, I'm going to buy a house," and make a potential bad choice by not thinking things through.Just make sure you have the home inspected before you buy, and you really can't go wrong. I will buy you your first baby chick.

JJ said...

I don't think you can know at this point whether it's a good decision or not. And Kasey's right-- planning ahead is a wise decision and that should help you feel better about your choices.