My favorite Bible verse is Psalm 114:4
The mountains skipped like rams, and the little hills like lambs.
I like this verse best of all for two reasons. 1) It rhymes 2) it talks about lambs.
However, I have a new contender that just may overtake the rhyming lambs:
2 Kings 2:23-4
And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
I like this verse for two reasons. 1) I picture a gaggle of kids following the man taunting him because he's bald. In my vision, the children are skipping and eventually form a circle around him and dance around it like a maypole 2) the bears eat 42 of the kids. Not all of the kids. I think the exact number of 42 is funny.
I know God did not intend this verse to be humorus, but I can't help myself.
Thursday, April 20, 2006
Give Me the Bible
Posted by Kirsten at 3:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yeah, I think something might have been lost in the translation. I wonder how baldhead translates from Greek or Hebrew-- who knows. It is rather humurous and I can hear you, Kirsten, chanting "Go up thou bald head" in a British, singsong voice. While skipping.
Get out of town! That, my friend, is way too funny! I am still laughing!
Oh, and are there even bears in Israel? Which I'm assuming is the location of Bethel . . . sadly, my geography is not that good.
I have no response to that.
Post a Comment