Sunday, November 06, 2005

Bubbles

USA Today online used to have a daily haiku contest. They would give you a word and you would have to make up a haiku about that word. At the end of the day, the mysterious "they" would pick a winner, and that winner's haiku would be available online the next day in addition to winning a "literary prize."

About four years ago, the word was "Bubbles." I was instantly inspired and entered the contest. I felt confident that my witty haiku would blow all the others out of the water, but alas, the constant checking of my inbox to see if USA Today had e-mailed me back telling me I had the winning haiku proved futile. To this day, I feel as if I was robbed. Take a gander at this haiku, and try to tell me that there could have been a better one submitted than this:

Bubbles

Silver sequined glove
Living at Never Land Ranch
Michael Jackson's chimp.

2 comments:

Kasey said...

You know that I have always been very fond of this haiku. I remember when you came up with this. You were so happy because you knew you the contest was a wrap. You were definitely robbed.

alicia said...

I cannot understand why you did not win. This is the most clever haiku I have ever read. I no longer trust the opinion of the people at USA Today. Yes, friend, you were robbed.