Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Is This Possible?

Lately Jon and I have been trying to save the world one small step at a time. We’ve made some small concessions in our daily lives: Jon no longer prints receipts at the gas pump nor does he use a ton of napkins while I no longer use Lysol disinfectant wipes but instead use a wet rag and spray. Also, I am trying to stop using Ziplock bags and am carrying my food in reusable containers and am no longer using plastic cutlery. (Jon, feel free to add more to your list.) I’m saving the world one sandwich at a time.

I read an article on Yahoo Finance today called “Want To Save Money? Don’t Shop.” The article discussed a group of people who didn’t buy anything new for 6 months. The endeavor wasn’t to save money but to battle consumerism. (They did allow themselves to buy food, medical necessities, and toiletries.) If they did need to purchase clothing or other items, they bought them used or borrowed from a friend. Also, they supported local businesses and bought gift certificates and such if the needed to give a gift.

I’ve decided to try this, although my decision is two-fold. I want to stop buying so much crap that I totally don’t need, but I also want to save money and pay off debt. This trial will force me to be more resourceful and less wasteful. I’m excited about it right now, but we’ll see how excited I am when I can’t buy a new purse.

If anyone would like to try it with me, let me know and we’ll form our own group.

Is it just me, or am I slowly but surely becoming a hippy?

5 comments:

Kasey said...

I think I have gone the opposite way. Mark and I do not wash dishes, so to battle this problem I have started buying plastic cutlery, bowls, plates, cups, etc. I feel bad about how much trash we make every week, but I am tired of this problem. Maybe after we move somewhere with a dishwasher I will try this with you.

p.s. I am watching the Golden Girls episode with the Miami and Medicare song. It's still a hoot.

Jonathan said...

I no longer use lids and straws for my fountain/fast food drinks. Recently, I have purchased an over priced Starbuck's mug that I wash and reuse for all of my beverages. I guess I am still doing damage to my wallet w/ the overpriced Starbuck's beverages.

Clark Howard mentioned in the article that buying is emotionally driven and that is true. As I have said time and again, I shop at Starbuck's b/c it makes me feel good.

I knew I was wasteful. I took an environmental science class, and I realized that I am more wasteful than I thought.

We have to slow down how much trash we are making. The statistics and pictures are scary. We have to be able to be better than what we are.

Saving money is nice too.

Peace.

alicia said...

Awwww! The Mullis family of hippies! I love it and I think you are doing a great thing. I totally agree that shopping is emotionally driven. When I am sad, I buy nothing, but when I am happy, I want to buy everything! Since I lost 15 pounds in the past two weeks, I have bought three new outfits and 4 pairs of shoes. Never mind the 50 more I have to lose - I just keep buying. I do shop at a consignment shop sometimes though.

Kirsten said...

Alicia, if you lost 15 pounds you have to buy new clothes!

I will have a hard time with this because I am, indeed, and emotional buyer. I buy when I'm happy, sad, or blase. I rarely ever NEED anything though. I just buy so I'll feel better.

Also, I hate used things. I know that's snobby to say, but it's true. Maybe this will also help some of my snobery go awayl.

JJ said...

"Miami is nice, so I'll it thrice." That's just good stuff.

As for the possibility of your goal to stop needless consumerism, I don't know. You like to shop too much. That's not a bad thing, if done wisely. So maybe if you make it your goal to buy more conscientiously you'll have better success in the long run.