Of late, I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect pair of jeans. Ladies, you know the pair—the ones that make even the biggest of girls look like a normal person.
During my voyage, I’ve discovered something: Fat girl jeans are hideous. It’s as if designers want to draw attention to larger people. Many larger jeans have fruity embellishments, glitter, or are faded in all the wrong places. Do they think these ugly jeans will make big girls feel special? Do they really think we want to draw even more attention to ourselves? Hmmm. I just want to fit in with everybody else. I know! Why don’t I buy a pair of jeans with laces on the side and glitter on the pockets with faded butt and thigh areas to draw attention to my problem areas? Good idea.
However, I’ve succeeded in finding a few normal jeans, though the search was rather difficult. I bought a pair of jeans about a week ago and bought another pair last night. I had to laugh when I realized the brands I bought: Levis and Calvin Klein. When I was a young doe in high school, these were staples in my wardrobe. I guess I’m going back to basics. I suppose it's true: A classic never dies. I’m just thrilled that I didn’t have to buy stretch glitter jeans.
Monday, September 18, 2006
Back to Basics
Posted by Kirsten at 11:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Stretch, glitter jeans should be banned! The clothes they have for big women are atrocious! They either want you to be a vamp or a teddy-bear wearing grandma. Glad you have some nice jeans, and you are not a big girl.
Yeah, I don't know what's up with designers. They somehow think that curvy women should wear mumu's or caftans-- clothing that merely drapes over the body. Do they honestly think that we don't want clothes that fit properly? I know I'm one to talk, though. On any given day at work, Kirsten could pants me if she wanted to, but I try to wear tailored or properly fitted clothing.
On Project Runway, the contestants had to design an outfit for the everyday women-- most of whom were not model size-- and you should have seen how some of them freaked out. Vincent, who I normally think is crazy, made the comment that most designers (especially male designers) only know how to make a dress for the dress form and cannot even fathom just extending the fabric to make a larger size. I mean, how hard is that, really? Vincent won that challenge, by the way. He may be an odd duck, but he at least knows how to make flattering clothes for women without a 23 inch waist.
Sorry-- Kirsten pointed out that I was supposed to write "everday woman" not "women."
Post a Comment