I’ve decided to apply the tired old cliché of “don’t sweat the small stuff” to my life. I let myself get stressed out about the smallest things. It’s not productive, and it’s not fun. I’m in a constant state of worry about pointless things. I’m sick of always worrying. Yes, things should be in order, but things don’t have to be perfect.
Lately I’ve been asking myself when I become worried “Will X problem matter 5 years from now.” Only once has the answer been yes, and that situation worked itself out in the matter of a week. Even if it will matter 5 years from now, in the grand scheme of things it won’t matter.
I know I will never be an easygoing person, but I hope to be a little less anal in my day-to-day life. I know I will be a happier person and those around me (namely Jon who has to deal with my trivial stresses on a daily basis) will be happier as well
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
A Sensible Cliche
Posted by Kirsten at 9:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kirsten,
I congratulate you on this new philosophy. Kevin is a big worrier (and I secretly am too) so every problem that we identify gets blown out of proportion. You can get to the point where most of your life is spent over-analyzing insignificant details. I say let's say, "who cares?" and live carefree until our health gives out and we have real troubles.
On a different note...why hasn't Brad posted anything lately? I think Elias scared him into thinking he has a stalker. I wish he would post something else so Elias could make fun of him some more...we can only dream for another poignant verse.
I don't know if that's an Alabama song or not. I don't care too much for country music. I always hear the cliche at every job I have. It's some "inspirational" thing to keep us working hard and not get depressed with our job and kill ourselves. I'm secretly a follower of your devil cliche, James, but we'll see if I can adapt to this new outlook. I'm tired of worrying about everything.
I am always suprised when you say you are anal or say that you cry a lot. I don't see you as that way at all. I worry about very little because I have learned that as long as you are breathing, everything is fine. It may sound simple, but everything we need to be happy is already in us. We are loved, we love. Happiness is the result of contentment. Shoot for contentment and kindness and happiness will follow.
Post a Comment