Friday, October 21, 2005

New Things

I love new things. I know it’s incredibly shallow and materialistic of me, but I can’t help myself. Few things make me happier than getting something new. Newness can come in many pleasing forms: a bottle of 99-cent shampoo, a new tube of mascara, or a new pair of shoes. I prefer that new things come in multiples since that way I can take them all out at once, line them up, and examine them one by one. (The best example of this is when you buy an item or two from the Clinique or Estee Lauder counter and you get the free gift with purchase—more prizes for your dollar!)

Why do I have this love of newness? I could try to blame it on the days when Fatty Patty lived with us, and I had to wear hand-me down clothing. I never got to go to the store for back to school shopping like the other kids. I never had a new piece of clothing. Even my Keds were generic. I’m not exaggerating. Poor me, I had to wear one of Fatty Patty’s coworker’s kid’s clothes. She was quite a few years older than me, and they never fit properly. This would be one excuse, and (I feel) a highly probable one at that.

However, I think the real reason is simply this: new things are fun. I’m not expensive. I’m equally happy with a new toiletry as with a new car. A few of the best things in life are using a new stick of deodorant, new eyeliner, or new bath poof for the first time.

Yes, I love new things. Think me bad if you want, but I don’t care. I’m sure all the ladies in the place with style and grace will know and share the same feeling. It’s nice to feel like you are worth something new once in a while rather than hand-me downs all the time. New things just make us feel good

1 comments:

alicia said...

There is nothing more exciting than getting something new. I am with you friend, it does not have to be expensive, just new. My favorite new things are electronics. I love new radios or cameras, but I think books are the best thing to buy, old or new.