Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's Always About a Dog

I don't believe people change. I don't believe in second chances. If I were a Native American and had a traditional name, it would be Holds-A-Grudge.

However, I'm sitting on my couch watching Cell Dogs on Animal Planet. It's a show that chronicles prison inmates as they train dogs from humane societies and rescue groups that will someday help people with disabilities.

I find myself seeing things a little differently than usual. These hardened criminals are different people around a dog. They care for and about the animal and feel like they have a purpose in life and are contributing to society. It makes me think that people who have done horrible things are not necessarily all bad. I remember Dr. Winterhalter's Virginia Woolf class and the importance placed on there being neither good nor bad charcters, neither black nor white in real life. Most of life's a gray area and most people are both good and bad. Maybe some people are more bad than good while others are more good than bad.

These (mostly) murderers put ribbons in their dogs' hair, brush them, and treat them like treasured children. I think all dogs should be cherished, and maybe the inmates' devotion and care for these animals is what touches me most. I would normally write these people off as worthless and no longer serving a function in society, but maybe they just need more help and sturcture than others, but that's a whole other post.

5 comments:

Kasey said...

I am always touched by stories in that vein. I think it has to do with the fact that dogs are easier to be yourself around. They are rejuvenating to the soul.

K A R I™ said...

I'm glad you are blogging again! YAY

Jonathan said...

I think you will change your mind shortly.

Kirsten said...

Oh, I still think people shouldn't be given second chances and should be executed upon their first strike, but I'm just happy that they're helping dogs and have helped me to see that they're not ALL bad. Please, they should still pay for their crimes and die.

alicia said...

SO many people have been wronged by the adults in their life that they have no appreciation for the human race, so they can treat animals with the dignity most people reserve for humans. It is good to see them given the opportunity to love a little animal - I wonder if there have been any incidents of dog abuse? Maybe the Humane Society could set up shop in some prisons as an experiment - let the prisoners take care of the animals and see how that goes. Then the animals that are not adopted could be cared for by an inmate and not euthanized - everybody wins.