You are not a published author if you post some tripe online. You are also not a published author if you pay for your own book to be published. Why do people think this? Why do people think they can put some awful poem on poetry.com and call themself a poet?
I am mean because I try to make people understand that they or their loved ones are not published authors. Why can't I just let that person be happpy and their admirers be happy? I feel the desparate need to burst their bubbles.
Maybe it's because I'm constantly aware of the fabulous writers who struggled and sometimes died before their work was ever shown any recognition. It's difficult to be a writer in any form. You can't go around claiming you're a writer because you've put something on the internet or paid to have your own stuff published. It doesn't work that way.
Friday, February 24, 2006
You Are Not a Published Author
Posted by Kirsten at 12:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I just became a published author. If you're really bored, go to poetry.com and check out "I'm a Writer" by Kristin Mullins (like I'd use my own name!).
WOW! I am so impressed. When are you going to enter your fabulous Haiku in the contest?
"Bubbles" is for private pleasure and not to be shared with the masses. They wouldn't understand.
Kristin Mullins! I searched for your name for 15 minutes on poetry.com and after looking at title after title of dumb poems, the search was fruitless! Please post your poem here. Thanks for nothing.
Post a Comment